Re: Strange NFS performance

From: Richard Nyberg <rnyberg@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:01:50 +0200

Thanks for all response guys!

I've done some testing  using kernels with last commit
i386/i386/busdma_machdep.c rev 1.9. I still have the same problem with nfs
but it doesn't seem to be nfs that's broken, but rather some network code.

This time I transfered data in one direction from a file on one machine
to /dev/null on the other using netcat. I did this with both tcp and udp
and in every permutation of source and destination machine. I monitored
the traffic with 'netstat 1'. I repeated the tests to be sure. The results
were very stable.

Comp1: DragonFly server (500Mhz PIII, 384MB RAM, if_fxp)
Comp2: FreeBSD 4.8 client (750Mhz AMD, 256MB RAM, if_vr)
Comp3: DragonFly client (1700XP AMD, 512MB RAM, if_vr)

This is the two tests that didn't perform as they should:
Comp1 -> Comp3 tcp: very, very bad and erratic transfer rate
Comp2 -> Comp3 tcp: bad and erratic tranfer rate

All other permutations showed good, stable tranfer rates.
I even tested Comp3 with fbsd5.2 without trouble.

Hopefully this means something to someone :)

	-Richard