Re: XFree86 4.4?

From: ibotty <bsd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:30:02 +0100

>> i am looking forward at xserver (keith packards fork at freedesktop.org).
>> they just imported xfree ddx (named it xizzle), so i see no reason, why
>> it wont work at *bsd.
>>
>> just my 1? though.
>
> Well, last time I checked kdrive was still busted on FreeBSD. Though I
> don't doubt that will be fixed eventually, xserver is still not exactly
> ready for production, never mind the fact that switching to it would
> leave people relying on binary drivers for one reason or another in the
> dust.

xizzle is not based on kdrive. i doubt kdrive gets ported to *BSD, i looked
at the code ;). porting it is a complete rewrite of all vesa functionality
in kdrive.

> The pre-license-change RC2 of XFree86 4.4 was imported at
> freedesktop.org, and it seems like they plan on making their own release
> (so we'll have three different major ones I suppose, two of which are
> very similar). I assume if FreeBSD has a problem with XFree86.org's 4.4
> release license, they'll switch over to the version imported by
> freedesktop.org, but don't hold your breath for xserver in the near
> future.

well, i hold my breath, but ehm... sometimes, when nobody looks at me, i
breath in and out ;)

> Sorry for the extensive explanation, but there seems to be a lot of
> confusion out there. Either way I don't think it'll be a big deal.

btw: i think, once we have our own package system, xserver will be beta.
so my comment still applies (sort of :)

~ibotty