Re: XFree86 4.4?

From: Munish Chopra <chopra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:59:41 -0500

On 2004-03-18 00:27 +0000, ibotty wrote:
> > I know this might start a religious war, but are there any intentions of
> > importing XFree86 4.4?  Or what are the plans for the whole XFree86
> > fiasco?
>
> this is a ports@ question, right ;)
>
> i am looking forward at xserver (keith packards fork at freedesktop.org).
> they just imported xfree ddx (named it xizzle), so i see no reason, why it
> wont work at *bsd.
>
> just my 1? though.

Well, last time I checked kdrive was still busted on FreeBSD. Though I
don't doubt that will be fixed eventually, xserver is still not exactly
ready for production, never mind the fact that switching to it would
leave people relying on binary drivers for one reason or another in the
dust.

The pre-license-change RC2 of XFree86 4.4 was imported at
freedesktop.org, and it seems like they plan on making their own release
(so we'll have three different major ones I suppose, two of which are
very similar). I assume if FreeBSD has a problem with XFree86.org's 4.4
release license, they'll switch over to the version imported by
freedesktop.org, but don't hold your breath for xserver in the near
future.

Sorry for the extensive explanation, but there seems to be a lot of
confusion out there. Either way I don't think it'll be a big deal.

--
Munish Chopra