Re: Audigy problems.

From: Walter <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:42:11 -0500

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:Up to two weeks ago, that version of the snd_emu10k1.ko driver would
:load under DF and run without any (noticable) problems.  I updated my
:copy of the source tree yesterday, and rebuilt world and the kernel.
:Unfortunately, it seems that audigy driver no longer works, but I have
:no idea how to track down the source of the problem.  This is the kernel
:panic andtrace:

    Ok, this is a real simple fix.  Your driver is calling malloc() without
    either the M_WAITOK or M_NOWAIT flags.  It must call malloc() with one
    or the other.  If it is not using either flag then add M_WAITOK to it.

I know I'm being a bit of a butt-in-ski here, but wouldn't it be the safer, more backwards compatible path to make malloc() internally use the M_WAITOK logic if neither that flag or M_NOWAIT was explicitly set? Otherwise isn't there always the risk that an incoming SW bundle will break upon entering DfBSD space? (Please ignore me if I'm wrong...)