Re: configuration files

From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:50:51 +0100

-On [20031211 19:32], Richard Coleman (Richard.Coleman@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>My guess is something of this nature will never happen within the
>confines of current BSD projects.  You would never get enough people to
>agree on the details, and the resulting bikeshed discussion would be
>legendary.  This is not a slam on any current project.  Such a change
>would be very disruptive with very little short term gain (most of the
>gains would be long term).

It's even simpler:

XML is for ensuring data portability.  A configuration file, in plain
text, does not even qualify for this.

Just using XML to write a configuration file in without using anything
to do validation or schema control on top of it is a waste of a
perfectly well-working system into something which just has the latest
buzzword attached to it.

I still need to see the advantage of doing:

mouse_enable="YES"

over:

<mouse enable="yes"/>

PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://diary.in-nomine.org/
Tattva, achintya bheda abheda tattva...