configuration files

From: James Frazer <jfrazer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:27:57 -0600

Just a hypothetical question I've been pondering lately:

I'm just wondering what the future holds for configuration files found in /etc (or wherever for that matter) ? Are we ever going to see a shift towards an XML based config-system? Or is the general consensus that 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' ?

I know there's a lot of merit/legacy in the standard *nix way of doing config files, but it seems kind of logical that an XML based config-system would be the next step. It's still text based, and therefore can be edited by hand (if necessary), but it can also be validated to ensure correctness (in structure & syntax).

Is there any interest in this sort of thing?

I'm just curious,

--James