Re: configuration files

From: James Frazer <jfrazer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:58:59 -0600

Heh, well I don't know about you, but I very rarely write entire config files from scratch. A few changes here or there wouldn't be a big deal :-)

Most config files stay pretty static IMO. When you install your base system (or your fav app) there's usually a default or sample config file -- often a few changes is all that is needed to get things up and running. I've just always found it somewhat of a nuisance -- cryptic syntax -- different syntax for different files -- sometimes the examples suck and are not very intuitive.

Ideally I think XML-config would probably be auto-generated or abstracted in someway -- as to leave hand typing to a last resort. Most config files probably wouldn't result in too many levels of complexity. I also think it would be easier to write a generalized frontend to change any settings -- it's impossible to write a frontend to do this now, as different config-files often have such major differences in syntax.

Kind of funny though, I'm pretty sure I used the same argument (too much typing) against you back during the XML-in-packages discussion. I knew that one would come back to bite me at some point.

--James

Dave Leimbach wrote:

<snip>

Here is my vote for I really hope we never use XML for configuration
files. Its a real pain in the butt to type all thos <> </> tags. For sufficiently deep XML trees its also error for humans to correctly
type the correct ending tag with a matching begin tag.

I use XML a lot... I like it for things like DocBook but I sure don't
want to edit it by hand.