Re: devFS?

From: andy-dragonfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 9 Dec 2003 17:06:20 -0000

max wrote @ Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:13:05 +0100:
> andy-dragonfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > listbox wrote @ Mon, 8 Dec 2003 18:38:52 -0700:
> >>1.) Create a better methed for changing node permissions on boot.
>  >
> > Just preserving the modes from chmod etc.
> > would be a fine interface and be compatible
> > to the old way.
>
> .. and brings us back to the need of non-volatile backing store for the
> /dev ... I think what you really want is an automatically updated /dev
> rather then a real devfs (whatever that might be).
[...]

Indeed an automatically updated /dev is ok
and devfs is one way to do that (dunno about others).

But there is no way around non-volatile backing store that i see
(what else is a config file?).  It's actually very similar to ip filter
rules - with similar solutions (like a script that saves the rules on
shutdown).

Andy