Re: AMD64 box

From: Richard Coleman <Richard.Coleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:37:38 -0500

That should keep you busy for awhile :-)

Richard Coleman
Richard.Coleman@xxxxxxxxxx

Matthew Dillon wrote:
Hello everyone! I got my AMD64 box today! Yeh!

The first order of business will be to make it work with a standard
boot and standard peripherals. I enabled netbooting and it got half
way through a standard (32 bit) boot right off the bat before panic'ing
so that's a very good sign! It recognized the USB and IEEE-1594 ports
and found something like five or six PCI busses, though I've no idea whether any of it actually works yet.

    There are a lot of new things in this system including a new way to
    configure APICs, SATA drives, and of course 64 bit mode, so I hope
    to get all these things up to snuff in the next few weeks.  To kill
    a flock of birds with one stone so to speak.

    I almost had a heart attack hooking it up, though... I put the thing
    together and then realize I hadn't gotten any ram for it!  Oh no!  But
    it turns out that the EPIA M-9000 boxes use the same kind of DDR SDRAM
    that the AMD uses so, whew!

    The alpha and Itanium non-withstanding, the AMD64 is the first 'consumer'
    64 bit machine in mass production.  I am already impressed!

-Matt
Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>