Re: Documentation generation

To: David Cuthbert <dacut@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 09:47:48 +0100

David Cuthbert wrote:
Matthew Dillon wrote:

I don't think we want to integrate document generation into the source
code. The problem is that you can't get too wordy without making the
source unreadable, and the result are usually definitions so sparse as
to be useless for understanding any serious API.

Yeah, Doxygen (and JavaDoc) both result in code that's more sparse than I care for, making it more difficult for maintainers. For users of the code, though, the indices and cross-reference tables that result are quite valuable.

I would rather prefer documenting the necessary/important functions by hand in a DragonFly Kernel Handbook, which keeps things clean, and also allows detailed explanations.

	I have already tried doxygen'ing the DFly source code, and it
	is not healthy site at all!

Regards,

--
Hiten Pandya