Re: Documentation generation

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:36:10 -0700 (PDT)

:[Followups to dragonfly.docs]
:
:Just curious if anyone out there has started to create Doxygen (or
:similar) headers for the source.  If not, I'd like to have a go at this.
:
:(I imagine that it'd make more sense to maintain a separate tree for
:such a thing right now -- I doubt that everyone would enjoy having to
:deal with merge conflicts.)

    I don't think we want to integrate document generation into the source
    code.  The problem is that you can't get too wordy without making the
    source unreadable, and the result are usually definitions so sparse as
    to be useless for understanding any serious API.

    For example, this is doxygen'd but the result is fairly useless for
    any serious programmer.

	http://covered.sourceforge.net/devel/signal_8c.html

    I am not adverse to having document-generating co-files, though,
    to describe kernel interfaces.