Re: namecache status, slab allocator status

To: David Leimbach <leimy2k@xxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:21:20 +0100

David Leimbach wrote:
Matt or others,
regarding below.  Do you or anyone else know where I can find
documentation on what makes a slab allocator different from others?

I don't want to bother you with questions about it as I know you are
fully capable of giving very nice, detailed answers complete with
ASCII diagrams :).

Sure, read Bonwick's papers, here are some links:

	[1] - Bonwick94,
	      http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/bonwick94slab.html
	      This paper talks about the design of the Slab Allocator
	      etc.

	[2] - Bonwick2001,
	      http://www.usenix.org/event/usenix01/bonwick.html
	      This is a like a followup paper to the above which
	      talks about extending the Slab Allocator with PCPU
	      goodies and the success story of the Slab Allocator.

	If you want to see a complete implementation of Bonwick's
	slab allocator, I suggest you checkout the Linux Kernel's
        linux/mm/slab.c file.

Hope that helps...

Regards,

--