Re: new sysinstall

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 18:03:24 -0400

At 2:15 PM -0700 9/2/03, Matthew Dillon wrote:
garance wrote:
:   2) if you do boot up off the dragonfly CD, you will first
:      see a prompt which allows you to switch the booting
:      process from the CD to the just-installed hard disk.

    This is completely off-the-cuff, but here is an idea for
    the CD-booted main menu:
[...skipping...]

[ ] Mount and boot into an existing, previously-installed HD.

This option is good to have, but I was thinking of something more along the lines of a "Press <blah> now if you do not want to start up off the CD", in the very initial parts of the boot up process. I know there was some OS which used to have that on their install CD. I have a vague feeling it might be Win2K.

Iirc, if you wait until completely booting up the OS that is on
the CD, all the probing done by that OS-startup will leave the
machine in a state such that you can't just load in some other
OS-image from the hard disk and branch to that.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad@xxxxxxxxxxx