Re: new sysinstall

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:15:32 -0700 (PDT)

:In any case, I strongly hope that:
:   1) dragonfly would also support some sort of net install,
:      which avoids most of this issue.
:   2) if you do boot up off the dragonfly CD, you will first
:      see a prompt which allows you to switch the booting
:      process from the CD to the just-installed hard disk.
:      Me, I'd rather boot up directly from the hard disk just
:      to make sure step #1 went OK, but if someone did boot
:      up off the CD then they could still switch to the hard
:      disk without having to reboot yet-again.
:
:--
:Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    I think these are easily doable options.  Again, we will have a
    full environment at first boot, that's the purpose of having a 100%
    live CD.  This means that we can theoretically do anything.

					---

    This is completely off-the-cuff, but here is an idea for the
    CD-booted main menu:

    Welcome to DragonFly!  You are in a live DragonFly CD Environment,
    version DragonFly-X.Y.Z.  There is a shell prompt sitting on VTY 2
    for your convenience, or you can select from one of the options below:

	[ ] Begin or continue a standard installation, stage 1.
	    (greyed out after you reboot into the HD).  This step involves
	    Basic partitioning and CD image installation.

	[ ] Begin or continue a standard installation, stage 2.

	[ ] Start a shell on this console (for serial-console users).  A
	    full CD-based environment is available.

	[ ] Create or enter into a writable testbed environment (enters into
	    new page with the following selections):

		[ ] Mount an existing testbed environment from swap.
		[ ] Mount an existing testbed environment using an NFS file
		    as a block device.
		[ ] Create a writable testbed environment using memory disks.
		[ ] Create a writable testbed environment using swap.
		[ ] Create a writable testbed environment using an NFS file
		    as a block device.

	[ ] Mount and boot into an existing, previously-installed HD.

	[ ] Obtain an IP address with DHCP and allow a remote browser to
	    connect into and perform installation functions on this machine.

	[ ] Start a fully automated network install.  DHCP and TFTP
	    will be used to automatically configure your machine over the
	    network.

	[ ] Start an NFS BOOTP boot.  DHCP will be used to obtain the
	    appropriate information.