Re: userapi: message versioning

From: Peter da Silva <peter-dragonfly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:36:32 -0500

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    My current thinking is to make the emulation layer responsible for
    all version matching.

Here's the idea... all binaries in the system will generally be tagged
with a build version using a non-debug symbol in the binary and/or tagged in the ELF binary or as a file attribute.

Will this work for statically compiled applications?

    For the kernel messaging side of things I propose that all system calls
    which transfer complex structures, such as stat*(), getdirentries(),
    etc... take and return data as a resource list rather then as a static
    structure.

The userapi would be responsible for translation to and from the resource list?

That would be pretty slick, the resource list would automatically be the template I was thinking about earlier, and marshalling the message for transition to MachLand or passing it over the network would be almost trivial.