userapi: message versioning

From: Peter da Silva <peter-dragonfly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:19:33 -0500

Matt: I've been thinking about what you said about versioning, and I think that there needs to be a convention that no message size or format should be changed without a change to the message: the kernel should always accept an older format message or reject it (EINVAL?).

Whether this is handled by updating the system call number or by having a version number field in the message doesn't really matter: a version field would make for an easier userland trap for emulating older APIs, changing the syscall number would make for a more efficient trap in the kernel.