DragonFly BSD
DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2004-11

Re: Wiki-fying docs

From: Jasse Jansson <jasse@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:51:21 +0100

On Nov 29, 2004, at 9:13 PM, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:

    But I don't think we
    can use Wiki as a basis for the documentation... it doesn't have a
    formal enough infrastructure to serve as a good basis.

I thought that the sources was the docs. This is an opensource project for crying out load ;-)

Oh, I'm not suggesting _that_. I just want to get over the hurdle of adding documentation. I've had a good number of people propose documentation additions or new content, but none of it has happened, because there's so many hoops to jump through.

Exactly. The only computer I have that I can rely on (for the moment anyway)
is the one I'm typing on right now, and it's a brand new shiny white iBook.
I haven't even found an (cheap enough) editor for MacOS X that can do
syntax highlightning for SGML.
If there was a 'style' document describing what tags to use and how to use
them, then it would be easier to use the simple text editor that I already have.

  I'm to the point where I
take plaintext from others and mark it up myself, and that's turning me
into a bottleneck.

I'm was planning to put the supported hardware list as web pages on my
personal web server (that's not current running because my pc's are in
a terrible shape) until it stabilizes enough to make a more formal version
for the DF main site, and maybe the handbook.

I have never used a wiki, but that's alright for me.

You guys choose whatever you want, I'm only trying to lend a helping hand
because I read somewhere (probably in the FreeBSD 2.0 dox) that the
software was free, but they wanted some contributions from the people
that used it. Sounds good to me, but I have never found something that
I could help out with before now ;-)

Jasse -- Authorized Stealth Oracle