DragonFly BSD
DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2004-11

Re: Wiki-fying docs

From: David Rhodus <sdrhodus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:16:43 -0500

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:33:31 -0800 (PST), Matthew Dillon
<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     I think I have to agree with Hiten.  I like the collaborative nature
>     of Wiki and I could see us generating a Wiki compatible set of
>     documents for the purpose of public comment, and use that to generate
>     patches back into the official document format.  But I don't think we
>     can use Wiki as a basis for the documentation... it doesn't have a
>     formal enough infrastructure to serve as a good basis.

I've yet to see anything ever done with the fbsd documentation other
than made into a webpage.  Though, I guess with some work a wiki could
be wrote in php to store the data in SGML format.

>     If someone wants to write a Wiki-generator from the documentation and
>     a patch generator to deal with changes (not for the purpose of
>     attempting to auto-patch back into the original infrastructure, since
>     that would be impossible, but for review and reintegration purposes)...
>     that would be pretty cool.

A wiki-generator from the documentation ?  I thought the idea was so
making documentation would be easier, e.x. someone might actually want
to do it. :-)

--
                                            -David
                                            Steven David Rhodus