Re: Single boot EFI Mac install

From: Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 22:08:58 +0100

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM, peeter (must) <karu.pruun@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Carsten Mattner
> <carstenmattner@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone successfully installed DragonFly as a single
>> boot system on an EFI Mac?
>

> I'd be interested in this too. I failed: got the boot prompt and then
> the boot process hung.
>
> I also tried a gpt setup described on 'man gpt' but got the same
> result. I would be interested in setting up a dual boot but can't risk
> losing the main system, currently macosx.
>
> On a positive note, rEFIt recognized the DFBSD slice and gave the boot
> prompt, so something goes wrong after that.

What I've learned for Mac 32-bit EFI and how to use it without OS X
but with rEFIt to allow booting all kinds of systems:

- boot the OS X installer
- start Disk Util
- create a 200MB (it will actually force it to 1GB) HFS+ partition
- now you will have a 200MB unused FAT EFI protected partition and a
1GB HFS+ partition
- boot a livecd which has a partitioning tool that can resize the HFS+
partition
- resize parition #2 (HFS+ 1GB) to 200MB, that should be enough
- reboot into the OS X installer again
- put rEFIt on the HFS+ partition
- bless --folder ... etc. (see the shell script in rEFIt for the
command) to bless refit.efi
- if the resizing tool is non-destructive you could avoid booting
twice into the OS X installer and instead extract and configure rEFIt
on the 1GB partition
- reboot
- rEFIt should show up
- if BSD or Linux doesn't properly boot, make sure the hybdrid
partition table is synced (gptsync). rEFIt's partition tool menu item
should suggest to sync if needed
- if the installed rEFIt doesn't have the partition tool menu item boot
rEFIt ISO
- depending on what OS and bootloader you use you might want to add a
3rd partition of 1MB size and type BIOS BOOT before BSD or Linux.

PS: I'm not subscribed to user@crater.dragonflybsd.org anymore. If
this is filtered, someone has to moderate it onto the list.