Re: PCI parallel port card

From: Tim Darby <t+dfbsd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 20:46:10 -0700

Thanks, Justin, I think this probably will work.  I'll try it if I can't find a way to direct connect the printer.

Tim

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Justin Sherrill <justin@shiningsilence.com> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Tim Darby <t+dfbsd@timdarby.net> wrote:
> After playing with various device files, it's looking like this card is just
> not going to work, at least not without more kernel skills than I have or
> possibly some imports from FreeBSD.  So, let me ask a different question.
>  What do you guys use to print to a parallel port printer when your
> motherboard doesn't have a built-in port?  Can I solve this by using a USB
> to parallel port converter?

I've used RJ45 to parallel adapters (i.e. it makes a parallel port
printer into a network printer) at work, though not with DragonFly.
One of those may work the best because I _think_ it effectively lets
you print to the printer over the network using something simple like
lpr.  Again, untested, but that's what I'd look for.