Re: Misleading directory names

From: Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp_o2@xxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:44:43 +0200

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:03:42 +0200
Antonio Huete Jimenez <ahuete.devel@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Prezemylaw,
>
> I know no OS which is finished. There's always things to do ;)
>
> Besides that I think the amd64 symlink could be removed as there's no
> 2.6/2.7 release with arch. name, but it isn't either a big deal.

Hi Antonio,

Yes, I exaggerated a bit but with purpose. Let me explain why.

So what is "a big deal" depends on the place you are - outside the
project as a newly DFBSD "worshipper" ;-) or inside the project being a
seasoned user.

A real example - I installed DFBSD and I wanted to have some
applications too. I went to the page:
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToPkgsrc/#index4h2

There is setenv PKG_PATH .../i386/... defining the path to packages'
database.

OMG! I installed 64 bit system and there is only i386 address! What the
heck? And then I started to search the website. What to put there
instead of i386 - amd64 or x86_64, where is the f*** information 'bout
it, etc.

A few minutes of frantic activities and either you get it or you are
lost.

I know that I should go there or should try to substitute the "i386" in
my brower with.... well, with what - x64, amd64, x86_64, 64bit?

There are such things like ergonomics and "predictable search
time" (sensable search time). You have to take them into consideration
creating documentation to any projects if you want to attract
prospective users.

From Wikipedia: Ergonomics is the science of designing user interaction
with equipment and workplaces to ***fit the user***.

If I am not able to find such a trifle what to say 'bout something more
complex? I have been leaving projects or websites very frequently
not having obtained needed information in sensible time. Quick
access to data is an __iron tenet__ of Internet surfing or good
propaganda (aka Public Relation).

Not to say that any ambiguities within documentation is manifestation
of (mind) sloppiness.

Regards

--
Przemysław Pawełczyk (P2O2) [pron. Pshemislav Paveltchick]
http://pp.blast.pl, pp_o2@o2.pl