Re: Weird entry in ISO

From: Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp_o2@xxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 17:25:53 +0200

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 17:06:40 +0200
Tomas Bodzar <tomas.bodzar@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)
> >>       Not at all - just because these tools are not in the base
> >> system does not mean they're not easily available just install them
> >> with pkg_radd or pkgin or build them yourself
> >> (cd /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/mc; bmake install clean clean-depends).
> >
> > Let me show you a real example, I did stuck with no network
> > during installation. DF is new to me. Unix commands like dhclient
> > are not available though paths so I had to find it. The DF tree is
> > different from other systems.
>
> If you will read first before doing something then you will find this
> page http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/newhandbook/Installation/ where
> is even description how to enable network after install.

If you read first before doing something then you would find that I
got stuck before installation - I just inserted CD, kick off DF
and... opsys was in memory but it ended up without IP.

> DF tree is not so different from that one in OpenBSD. You can read man
> page (which has same name as in OpenBSD) here too
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=hier&section=ANY

Thank you. The permeation of BSD flavors is unprecedented, isn't
it? ;-)

> > Using MC I get broader picture of system dir layout and their
> > contents
> > - I get two panes with a lot of information - and I am not coerced
> > to wander thru subdirectories typing cd and ls like idiot (not as
> > bad as I would be getting acquainted with DF bowels but MC is more
> > convenient).
> >

> I don't like MC. I prefer simple terminal with tmux(1) and couple of
> commands like ls(1) and similar. If I need explorer-like then I'm
> using xfe. And what? It's my choice. It doesn't need to be same for
> all. MC is not a holly cow of Unix.

xfe w/o X?

(...)
> > I didn't say about packages but about sets:
> > http://ftp.bytemine.net/pub/OpenBSD/4.7/amd64/
> >
> > What about DF basic system software divided into sets similar to
> > sets found in OpenBSD?
>

> And why? Because everything must be as in OpenBSD? Hint: My only OS is
> OpenBSD, but I like a lot of features in Dfly and a way of its
> developers in some areas.

I thought "because OpenBSD sets were good solution". Period. If DF
takes from other BSDs, why not in this point?

(...)
> And yes, lynx in OpenBSD base install is fine, but they have much more
> developers and money from users so if you want it in Dfly then pay
> someone or do it yourself or more simple - said in OpenBSD way - shut
> up or hack ;-)

At last! At least one user agreeing with me. :-)

Sometimes I feel like there was another adage - "use it or ditch it
(and get lost)". Just another rude expression dressed in smiley.

Regards

--
Przemysław Pawełczyk (P2O2) [pron. Pshemislav Paveltchick]
http://pp.blast.pl, pp_o2@o2.pl