Re: Why did you choose DragonFly?

From: Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:42:47 +0200

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 01:33:28PM -0600, Samuel J. Greear wrote:

> What has drawn you to use the DragonFly BSD operating system and/or
> participate in its development by following this list? Technical
> features, methodologies, something about the community? I suspect the
> HAMMER filesystem to be the popular choice, but what other features
> affect or do you see affecting your day to day life as an
> administrator, developer, or [insert use case here], now or in the
> future?

I was a FreeBSD user back in 2003; I have seen the announce of DragonFly in
one of the mailing lists and watched its progress from afar.

I liked some of the early ideas. A new SMP implementation based on the real
hardware topology was full of performance promises and since I have a small
historical interest in VAXclusters and VMS, I found the SSI goal really
appealing.

I never really used DragonFly before 1.6, when one of my FreeBSD machines kept
crashing (known kernel bug) and I had to find a lasting solution.

Since then, I have gradually put DragonFly on production machines, one at a
time. I now use it on customer-facing servers and do not regret it. You hear
very fast when a mail server is down.

What really impressed me is the stability of the system and Hammer. I've never
lost any data with DragonFly; even in the worst cases it is possible to
synchronize your work with a known good historical state of the filesystem and
carry on.

The good atmosphere of the community is also a big plus imho.
I have not had to refrain from reporting bugs for fear of beeing chastised and
most of them are fixed rapidly.

I really can see constant progress. So far so good :)

--
Francois Tigeot