Re: Ideas and questions on pkgsrc

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:44:07 -0400

On Tue, April 13, 2010 3:06 am, Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:

> Aside from cvs, I don't see any obvious candidates. We need a lot of
> stuff for our build, other stuff carries local patches that are hard to
> get upstream, other stuff (nvi, less, file) is very useful to have and
> are not really a burden.
>
> We should eventually move sendmail out of base (setting up dma by
> default), but I'm not sure how easy that is and what's the sendmail
> status in pkgsrc.

Well, that's cvs and sendmail.  Looking at /contrib, there's nothing else
that appears to be removable for the same reasons (overkill).  Sascha I
think was looking at a BSD-based replacement for groff, or maybe I'm
conflating it with the mandoc work.

Even if we just get those parts out, it's still that much less maintenance
where we're just treading water instead of doing new stuff.  Is anyone
working on finishing DMA at this point?

> What would you want that for? To the admin, having a way to ask "For
> which of my installed packages are there newer versions that I can
> upgrade too" sounds more useful.

That would work too, but my goal is to have a public list of what's now
available as binary packages.  You can see what's in pkgsrc online
(pkgsrc.se), and you can run programs like pkg_chk to see what's newer in
/usr/pkgsrc, but if we're to get to a good binary installation method, we
need to be able to see online what's newer _and_ available as binary.