Re: I got a kernel dump

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 12:11:16 -0800 (PST)

:I stopped the dd_rescue (I left it wishwashing all night, and it appeared to
:have run past the end of the disk). Some time later, the computer rebooted,
:and stopped with the kernel panic. I rebooted it without ACPI and savecore
:wrote a dump, saying "malloc limit exceeded". What should I do with the dump?
:
:Pierre

    malloc limit exceeded is probably due to kern.maxvnodes being too high.
    The default was set too high for 32-bit kernels until just a few days
    ago.  If it is greater than 100000 I suggest reducing it to 100000:

    sysctl kern.maxvnodes=100000

					<dillon@backplane.com>