fortune(6) why is there fortunes2 and what to do about duplicates

From: Ulrich Spörlein <uqs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 13:06:44 +0100

Hi all,

the branch at
http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/~uqs/games.git/history/style:/games
contains a large number of improvements to the fortune datfiles [1,2]
but I've hit a wall in how to handle the cookie duplication.

First of all, why did BSD come with a fortunes2 file (that duplicates
much of fortunes). Was it just because of size? Anyway, FreeBSD merged
those cookies into the standard fortunes file and that's what I'd like
to do next.

However, there are many fortunes present in fortunes2, that are also in
fortunes-o. Then fortunes-o contains many of the limericks found in
limerick. I've also seen some of the zippy quotes in both in zippy and
fortunes.

So what's to be done? If fortunes2 is merged into fortunes, a lot of
possible offensive quotes (previously in fortunes-o) would suddenly show
up.

Regards,
Uli

[1] commit 13359d9eff51a772f1f09a2d41d8462a9f75c9f2
[2] commit 9b6909541ab851460a17e49d7ea1b8d9e028af05