Re: Network maintainance on dragonflybsd.org

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 09:28:14 -0800 (PST)

:
:>     There is going to be some serious restructuring of my subnet some
:>     time in the next two weeks.  Theoretically I'll be drilled through
:>     my cable modem while my DSL is down
:> ...
:>
:...
:Please accept my apologies as this is a newbie query
:
:. is the requirement of tunnel related to setup of a static
:tunnel IP for mail/web over a DSL connection ?
:
:. is the tunnel like GRE or IP/IP ?
:
:thanks
:Saifi.

    It is all invisible to end users (beyond potentially disrupting services
    for a little bit).  The DragonFly subnet is currently being tunneled
    over a cable modem instead of being directly routed over the DSL, so
    the DSL line can be worked on.  It's just PPTP with a few tricks to
    make normal MTUs work.

    The cable modem actually has better bandwidth and improved ping times
    over the DSL, but is a bit more fragile.

					<dillon@backplane.com>