Re: Printer Daemon

From: Jim Chapman <jim.chapman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 19:26:55 -0400

Ed Berger wrote:
Is lpd running? Do you have it automatically startup at boot time?
Do you have directories with proper permissions for the printcap spooling?

Its also possible print/cups got built and installed on your machine via pkgsrc, and you have conflicting system lpr and lpd software in your $PATH, like defaulting /usr/bin/lpr when you meant to use cups instead.

I have
lpd_enable="YES"
lpd_flags=""
in /etc/rc.conf

The spool directory /var/spool/output/lp1 has owner:group  daemon:daemon
and mode 755

Cups is not installed.

If I spool a number of files and start the printer with lpc it prints
all the files. Next time I try to print there is no daemon.

Thanks, Jim Chapman