Re: amd64 - invitation to test

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:19:59 -0700 (PDT)

    I'd like to echo Simon's words too.  You have really gotten us over
    the hump on amd64.  We always expected there would be a lot of issues.
    FreeBSD is still having issues, after all, and they've had their 64-bit
    port in their tree for twice as long as we have.

    Sure we didn't have the vkernel working, and I think the 32-bit
    compat support was a bit out of reach in the first place, and yes I
    would like to see the vkernel operational in a near-term time frame...
    but AMD64 is also far FAR more stable now then it was before
    and you got SMP working!  That is a big deal in my book.

    Our amd64 stuff is now to the point where mere mortals can actually
    run it and help track down bugs.

    So I consider the GSOC a success even if all the goals were not met
    by the deadline.

    You should here some the horror stories posted on the GSOC mentor
    list :-).  DragonFly GSOC projects are more trial-by-fire then other
    vendors but we also offer a ton more support on IRC then I think
    virtually anyone else.  As someone who has actually had to hire
    programmers in the past, I guarantee the experience will be a major
    benefit to our GSOC students.  Universities just don't prepare students
    for the real world when it comes to Computer Science.