Re: HEADS UP - devfs integration update. iscsi now alpha.

From: Michael Neumann <mneumann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:51:07 +0200

Matthew Dillon schrieb:
:Matt, do you think it's worth to even drive this one step further by :probing device slices for HAMMER (or other types of) filesystems, and
:create devfs entries like /dev/hammer/fsid or /dev/hammer/volname.volno?
:
:This would, in case of HAMMER, make devtab kind of superfluous, despite
:being very useful in general.
:
:Regards,
:
: Michael

I think we have to be very careful when trying to identify drives
by the data stored on them. Maintainance tasks such as someone, say,
dd'ing a disk image, could blow in our faces from depending on it.
Generally I agree that too much magic should be avoided.
But I see one use case where it might be useful: Expanding or
shrinking a HAMMER filesystem. Right now, all volumes
have to be specified. If, after an expansion, you miss to add
the new volume, you can easily render the box unbootable.

What I imagine would still need to mount a filesystem explicitly,
just that the volumes are determined automagically.

Regards,

Michael