Re: required/suggested devfs userland tool functionality

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 09:19:30 -0700 (PDT)

:2) let the userland tool load a whole set of rules (for each devfs
:mount point) into the kernel. In turn the kernel applies the set of
:rules every time a device is attached. This has several advantages:
:- userland wouldn't have to be asked for every device attach
:- rules would continue to be applied even if the userland tool isn't running
:- for that same reason, userland tool wouldn't have to be a daemon.
:
:While I prefer the second approach, I would like to hear your thoughts
:about this before making a final decision on which one to use. I'd
:also welcome suggestions of other things you think the userland devfs
:tool should be able to do.
:
:Cheers,
:Alex Hornung

    I like the second approach.   Particularly since you already have a
    a VOP interface so loading the rules into devd could be as simple as
    doing a write() to a special node in devd.

					<dillon@backplane.com>