Vinum

From: Joe Holden <jwh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 04:12:13 +0100 (BST)

Hi guys,

I am currently trying to use vinum for raid1, but am running into a few issues:

I can create the volume by doing vinum create [-f] /etc/vinum.conf with the following config:

drive drive1 device /dev/ad0s1d
drive drive2 device /dev/ad2s1d
 volume data setupstate
  plex org concat
    sd length 26890m drive drive1
  plex org concat
    sd length 26890m drive drive2

All is well and I can newfs and mount the volume, the problem arises when I either do vinum start, or reboot the machine with vinum_start="YES" in /etc/rc.conf, vinum: loaded appears on the console, and then the machine gets stuck.
Similar happens if the system is already running, although I can do kldload vinum/kldunload vinum and create/destroy volumes, and it appears to be replicated, as long as I don't do vinum start.

Is anyone on the list versed with vinum at all, or know of an alternate method of using mirrored disks on a non-raid machine? I have only ever used gmirror, so would appreciate some advice.

Regards,