Re: pkg_dry on DragonFlyBSD

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 09:48:41 -0700 (PDT)

:I'm not sure about kqemu - it's very useful, but since it's a kernel
:module, it has a different status.
:
:However, pkg_dry is a "normal" software application, and I suspect will
:turn into a pkgsrc package quickly.  If that's the case, we could just
:install it along with other packages as part of the installer.  Keeping it
:in a /usr/src/ dir could cause some minor headaches in terms of updating
:it, so pushing it into pkgsrc solves that nicely.
:
:In fact, would it be worth packaging DragonFly-specific items in pkgsrc
:format even if they weren't in pkgsrc CVS?  It'd give us some ready-to-go
:management tools for software maintenance.

    Hmm.  Maybe.  I'm not so worried about updating... the idea is that
    the stuff in /usr/src/stuff is not integrated into the build, it's just
    a place to save things.  Once that thing gets integrated elsewhere it
    can be removed from /usr/src/stuff.

    Having a local package sub-tree is an interesting idea.

					<dillon@backplane.com>