Re: PHP and apache

To: justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:01:59 +0200

Justin C. Sherrill schrieb:
On Thu, April 23, 2009 6:43 am, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
cd /usr
make pkgsrc-checkout

Would it be worth making this an optional step at install time? Opinions? Don't know if there's a way to automate it.

Justin,

the problem is actually a bit more complex. Let me try to explain...

We do have 2 things already:

* /usr/Makefile's 'pkgsrc-checkout' target which will checkout pkgsrc-current.

* The /usr/pkgsrc-all.tgz tarball on the LiveCD which is the pkgsrc tree the LiveCD was built with. AFAIK corecode uses 2008Q4 at the moment for both the LATEST-Devel.iso and the LATEST-Release-2.2.iso. I'm not sure what Matt uses but I guess 2008Q4 too.

If we decide to install /usr/pkgsrc as part of the installation process we need to think about which pkgsrc that should be (current or last release?). What I _don't_ want to do is to add a _third_ way of checking out /usr/pkgsrc (to the installer).

The pkgsrc tree on the LiveCD has the problem that it's missing the CVS/ directories so it might be awkward to simply update via CVS if copied to the system. This could be fixed of course by just no longer excluding CVS/ directories from the CD's tarball. But it would stay at the branch which was used for building the CD.

If we would decide on using the tree the CD was built with, it would be as easy as just including the CD's /usr/pkgsrc in the list of directories to copy over upon installation. In this case, what would happen to /usr/Makefile? If someone did 'make pkgsrc-checkout' it would try to checkout current over some branch. Haven't tried it out, but I guess that would break in some way.

Any ideas?

I'm really unsure because each solution has a different set of pros and cons.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx