Re: "From scratch" resource allocation

From: Dmitri Nikulin <dnikulin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 17:09:00 +1000

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Joerg Sonnenberger
<joerg@britannica.bec.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 01:05:10PM +1000, Dmitri Nikulin wrote:
>> Basically at this stage it's either "reverse engineer Linux" or "lose
>> most laptop users to Linux", and the lesser of two evils must be
>> chosen.
>
> This is bullshit. For most laptops, you don't need any kind of manual
> resource allocation other than what ACPI already allows. Been there,
> done that.

Which would be fine if that was the only problem. Power management,
device support, and even software support (yeah I went there) are all
pretty far behind for the average laptop user, and even where those
are adequate, they're still a lot more fuss to set up than in even a
relatively spartan Linux distribution. I don't think that's trolling
or FUD. DragonFly is fantastic for servers but laptops are probably
its greatest weakness right now. So yeah, anything that can be learned
from Linux can probably help a lot.

--
Dmitri Nikulin

Centre for Synchrotron Science