Re: Installation on Yet Another Netbook

From: Christopher Rawnsley <rawprawns@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:01:26 +0000

On 15 Jan 2009, at 01:22, Christopher Rawnsley wrote:
So recently effort has been put into areas that I am interested in getting my Eee PC 901 up and running (specifically by Sepherosa Ziehau with age(4) and Michael Neumann with USB image creation in nrelease. Thanks guys! :-) ).

Oops! I've mixed up my age(4)s and ale(4)s! So I've just tried to get *ale(4)* working on the Eee but I'm having some issues:
1) the device is occasionally detected. I'll boot up - it's detected - then reboot without changing anything and it's gone again. ( I haven't yet discovered the cause as to why this is )
2) when the device is detected and showing up in ifconfig I tried a 'dhclient ale0' which resulted in stdout getting a lot of messages like "ale0: phy read timeout: 1" and occasionally "ale0: phy write timeout: 1". The number at the end changes but is normally a one.

--
Chris

P.S. Is ale(4) now in GENERIC? I have loaded it at boot time and sometimes left it out but it's been detected on both occasions at least once.