Re: fdisk implementation [read this before deciding what to do]

To: Vincent Stemen <vince.dragonfly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 07:33:17 +0100

61842.GA93290@quark.hightek.org>

Vincent Stemen schrieb:
> Yes, in the traditional layered Unix approach, this tool was
> specifically designed to be easier to automate and to write interactive
> front ends than the existing tools.  It would probably be easy enough to
> add a simple interactive mode to the tool itself, but I hesitate to do
> that because, as you mentioned, I can do the same thing with a shell
> script, making it easy to tune the interactive behavior and to have
> multiple different interfaces that are as simple or as sophisticated as
> you want.

Yes, but the downside of this is that there are two distinct interfaces,
one for the tool itself (getopt_long() stuff) and another for the
interactive mode which is put on top of it with shell scripts.

A better idea IMO is to have a built-in interactive mode and allow for
feeding those commands to the tool also from a file. In the tool it's
just a matter of either reading from stdin or from a file.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx