The state of DragonFly and pkgsrc 2008Q4

From: Hasso Tepper <hasso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 15:07:15 +0200

Pkgsrc 2008Q4 will be branched/released any minute now, but the state of
it in DragonFly is quite sad.

Most of gnome and a lot of other packages fail to build on DragonFly 2.0
due to brokeness of hal and some other stuff on it. I failed to find a
time to care about 2.0 (backporting changes etc).

A lot of 2008Q4 is broken with master as well. With brought in reentrant
user/group database access functions (getpwnam_r etc) too much stuff was
broken (starting from core X) and because it was incomplete as well, I
committed the hack to make these unusable for now. But the other change -
bringing in bind's resolver - broke a lot of stuff as well due to
introducing reentrant functions (gethostbyname_r etc). This includes
whole Mozilla family for example.

We obviously have to do something, but what? We have a bunch of options
from just declaring "we don't care, use HEAD and stuff when it'll be
fixed" to reverting changes in our master.

Whatever your proposal is, don't look at me to do anything ;). I'll _try_
to take care that the state of next pkgsrc release will be better, but
that's all. Having a reason to write this letter kills my motivation well
enough.

--
Hasso Tepper