Re: My personal pkgsrc FAQ

From: Matthias Schmidt <matthias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 09:07:23 +0100

Hi,

* Justin C. Sherrill wrote:

> One of the puzzles is how we can create a set of packages right at release
> time.  pkgbox.dragonflybsd.org is a good place to build, but Matt's
> bandwidth is not high enough to move the packages out to mirrors
> efficiently, and it does take a week to produce the packages on that new
> release.

Just a few thoughts ...

- IIRC it should be possible to build pkgsrc packages in parallel.  Does that
  mode works well?  If yes, we could distribute the builds between multiple
  machines to reduce the time needed to run a full build.  And yes, a have a
  machine to offer :)

- How about renting a colocation machine?  Renting a fast machine with a fast
  traffic flat is not that expensive nowadays.  We even have some SoC money
  left.  Donating some money is not a big problem either.

> We could build bleeding edge DragonFly and pkgsrc on a separate machine;
> Matthias has given me some space on his development system to do so, but

The build on my machine is finished.  Furthermore the box is connected with
Gbps so do not care about bandwidth.  Transmitting the packages from my
machine to chlamydia should be no problem (10 hops away).  From there the
packages will find its way to all other mirrors.  Should solve the
limited/slow bandwidth problem (at least for the packages built here).

> The bandwidth from dragonflybsd.org is pretty low; a new quarterly release
> causes a sudden jump in data to send out.  I'm not sure how to address
> this issue.

See above.

> I'd like to have a better mechanism for remote binary package
> installation.  pkg_radd works surprisingly well for such a simple script,
> but I'd like something more polished.  Something that integrates building
> from source when bianry packages aren't available would be good; the
> BINPKG_SITES variable had some potential.

Sounds like FreeBSD's portinstall ...

Cheers

	Matthias