Re: find hammer tid by timestamp

From: Johannes Hofmann <johannes.hofmann@xxxxxx>
Date: 24 Oct 2008 14:27:29 GMT

Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:

> :Hi,
> :
> :finally I implemented a method to get a hammer tid from
> :around a given time.
> :
> :This patchlet adds timestamps to the output of hammer mirror-dump:
> :http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~hofmann/mirror-dump.patch
> :And this bash script makes use of it to find a tid from around a given
> :time stamp:
> :http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~hofmann/findtid.sh
> :
> :You can call it like this:
> :
> :findtid.sh <filesystem> <secs since epoch>
> :
> :Here is an example:
> :...
> :Cheers,
> :Johannes
> :
> :PS: Please correct me if I'm missing something!
>
>    Hey, pretty good!  I was a bit surprised someone did it in a
>    shell script, and I think it might eat a lot of memory, but
>    it is a good demonstration.  Thanks for writing it!

Note that this doesn't quite implement what you suggested in
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2008-09/msg00039.html
as this can take a lot of time. It rather does a binary search.
Memory consumption should be no issue.

If you think the method is ok, I could make a patch for hammer(8) that
does the same thing in C.

Cheers,
Johannes