Re: Another pkgsrc thoughts

From: "Dennis Melentyev" <dennis.melentyev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 20:41:58 +0300

Hi Justin,

2008/8/3, Justin C. Sherrill <justin@shiningsilence.com>:
> On Sun, August 3, 2008 3:19 am, Dennis Melentyev wrote:
>
>  > 1. Is it possible to go FreeBSD way in mirrors naming? I mean
>  > something like "pkgbox.dragonfly.org", "pkgbox.ee.dragonfly.org",
>  > "pkgbox.ua.dragonflybsd.org", etc. Resembling "cvsup.*.freebsd.org"
>  > scheme?
>

> I don't know if our mirrors are midespread enough to make that useful.  I
>  also don't know if that's a good enough objection to not do it.
Well, it's convenient for end-user. At least for me :)
I do not need exactly UA mirror, I'm free to pick up any one that is
fast enough, but knowing that there are DK, EE, RU, etc is enough to
change the PKG_PATH easily. Not switching windows trying to spell
chlamidya FQDN correctly. (Well, I had no mouse support in console on
fresh install to copypaste).
Another thought is: is it possible to have some browser in base
system? console one, like links? But there could be some license or
other issues. You're better than me in this question.

>  > 2. Is it possible to expand mirror status page to cover status of
>  > pkgsrc mirrors? I had to go through many of sites to find estpak.ee
>  > suitable for me, after I realized ua mirror does not have all packages
>  > (yet?).
>

> The pages do need cleanup.
Seems like UA mirror is just not too fast in updates. :)

>  > 3. I was unable to find the way to deny ipv6 for package retrieving.
>  > So ftp spitting messages like "no route to host" for every package. I
>  > found this somewhat irritating.
>

> I think removing IPv6 from your kernel config will keep it from happening,
>  though that assumes you have no other need for IPv6 traffic.

Ok, I got the idea. And yes, it is almost no use for IPv6 in Kiev yet.
Unfortunately.

Well, gone reading wiki on how to setup sources.

Thanks a lot for guidance!

--
Dennis Melentyev