lpd is broken

From: Vincent Stemen <vince.dragonfly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 15:34:31 -0500

Sorry guys.  Another problem you may not want to propagate to the 2.0
release.

lpd works for local printing but is broken for remote printing.  We
tested by pointing the dragonfly client to a dedicated print server as
well as a dragonfly machine running lpd.  On the client, lpr does not
return and lpd apparently crashes consuming almost 100% of the system
process time.  Also, when we run lpq on the client, lpd on the dragonfly
server crashes in the same way and lpq never returns on the client.  The
master lpd process on the server seems to remain working.  The child lpd
that it launches crashes.  If I run lpq multiple times on the client,
the server launches a new lpd server for each one.  They all crash,
distributing the processor load among them consuming almost 100% cpu
load combined.

This one has also apparently been around for a while.  It exists on
1.10.1-RELEASE as well as 1.13.0-DEVELOPMENT from the Jul 13 snapshot.

Our printcaps:

  Client:
      lp|Line Printer:\
          :sh:lp=:rm=10.0.0.201:rp=:\
          :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
          :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

  Server:
      lp|local line printer:\
          :sh:\
          :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
          :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
          :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

The dedicated print server we tested with is an HP JETDIRECT EX Plus.
The printserver works fine when printing to it from NetBSD.