Re: Hammer performance

From: Cédric Berger <cedric@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 18:37:07 +0200

Jasse Jansson wrote:

Doesn't this use of the dd command create a sparse file ???

This is something I wanted to ask for quite some time: does hammer support sparse files?

if I create an empty file, seek to 1M, and write one byte of data,
will it waste 1M worth of real disk space or not?

How about if I write a 1M of 0 over an existing file, will I recover
the space?

Cedric