Re: New site design

From: James Frazer <james.frazer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:23:35 -0500

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    Well, the site is your baby so if you feel it need to be changed
    definitely go and change it.

Here are my own comments on the site:

* I like the placement of the Download button.

    * I don't like the placement of the logo.  I believe it should go in
      the upper left hand corner contemporary with the 'D r a g on F l y B S D'
      label.  It for sure should not go under the menu.

Well,also it's not a true logo (if it's the red thing you're referring to). It's more of a mascot, and I put it there to prevent the blues from over powering the page. It was just something I found in with our images.

The true logo -- there was a reason why that didn't end up in the left hand corner, but for the life of me I can't remember. Maybe I was having trouble with CSS positioning it properly, or maybe I didn't know how to make the red/green version look good.

* I don't like the color changes. I really like the current site's color and wallpaper scheme. But if you want to change the logo in the upper left hand corner, I'm OK with that. I like both logos.

Heh, I guess everyone has their own tastes in colours... to me the red/green was ghastly, and was at the top of my list to get rid of. Although it would be possible to do a red/green scheme that did look better, but someone would have to be better at colour theory than I.

* I do agree that our menus need to be reorganized but I don't like the new scheme (and the existing scheme has issues too). It seems to me that the menus could be reorganized in the context of the existing scheme.

I agree & disagree. Part of the problem is that there is a lot of extra information that gets cluttered in with the more important stuff. Had I had more time I would have liked to do more selective weeding (content wise) and try and simplify things. My general feeling on the old (and I suppose still current) site is that it is very verbose, both in content and menus...