Re: New site design

From: Robert Luciani <rluciani@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:49:31 +0200

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> James Frazer put together a nice site redesign based on some discussion we
> had here before.  He sent me a copy of it all, and I'm only now catching
> up enough to show it:
>
> http://www.shiningsilence.com:81/
>
> I'm happy with the layout and content; I'm looking for further suggestions
> for tweaks.  If there's no show-stopping objections, I'd like to move the
> dragonflybsd.org site to this.

I'd say that the main improvement over the old site is that the salad is
gone, although I think the site would look better using Fred's colors
(green + red + white). Honestly though, the site and wiki need more than
just a color overhaul. They especially need a clear link hierarchy that
is intuitive, which needs planning by someone who knows that kind of
stuff, together with someone that knows DragonFly. My girlfriend Danwei,
who's finishing her Master's in Interaction Design, has said that she'd
very much like to spend a good amount of time on getting the "web
front-end" of DragonFly good looking.

I think it would be useful to use a CMS like Drupal to combine the site,
wiki, blog and more into a single front-end, with support for fake "user
accounts" and fine-grained permissions. This would greatly simplify
management imho, and can be quite good looking.

--
Robert Luciani
Chalmers University of Technology, SWE