Re: New site design

From: Jordan Gordeev <jgordeev@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:23:05 +0300

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
James Frazer put together a nice site redesign based on some discussion we
had here before.  He sent me a copy of it all, and I'm only now catching
up enough to show it:

http://www.shiningsilence.com:81/

I'm happy with the layout and content; I'm looking for further suggestions
for tweaks.  If there's no show-stopping objections, I'd like to move the
dragonflybsd.org site to this.

When I first load the page, the red dragonfly logo immediately catches my attention, while I have to make an effort to see the download button, which is dark and blue, like the rest of the page, and doesn't stand out.
The page is all in one colour - dark blue, which isn't as nice as the old two-colour green+something theme. My opinion is the page lacks colour and the chosen shade of blue is too dark - it lacks life overall.
The menu on the left-hand side isn't separated visually so it looks like a strange floating right-justified text, and it is unclear whether it has a relation to the text on the right of it or not.
The links with texts 'Docs & Wiki' and 'Mail & Lists' have the potential to confuse visitors, as they make the meaning of the link more uncertain - is it docs or is it the wiki I'm going to if I click that link?
I'd rename 'Mail & Lists' to Mailing Lists, and possibly rename 'Docs & Wiki' to Documentation. By the way, man pages are really documentation to me.
As the menu is now much shorter I would consider the idea of moving it to the top of the page.
Seeing the initial design of the site would be nice for comparison purposes.