Re: Building/Installing DragonFly from within FreeBSD

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:07:18 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, February 14, 2008 3:08 pm, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> though it seems to be supported to build (some releases) of DragonFly on
> (some releases) of FreeBSD and cross-install them, I can't get it to
> work.
>
> I tried building 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.10 on 4.11, 5.5, 6.0 and 8.0.
> They all quickly die in buildworld during bootstrap-tools phase. Even
> plastering over some obvious differences, this seems to be not possible
> with the given releases.

There's an existing guide:
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/upgrade-freebsd.shtml
Though it sounds like you've done close to what it says already.

The installer supports headless installs.  You need to create a file
called 'pfi.conf' (for Pre-Flight Installer) and put it on a USB thumb
drive or floppy disk or something else that can be mounted and searched.
There's an example file at:

src/nrelease/installer/etc/defaults/pfi.conf

I haven't tried this myself, but it should work.