Re: rsync vs. cvsup benchmarks

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:46:21 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, January 30, 2008 1:38 am, Vincent Stemen wrote:

> I have some benchmark test results comparing rsync to cvsup.  I did 12
> client side tests over the last week.  5 against TheShell.com, 3 against
> AllBSD.org, and 4 against chlamydia.fs.ei.tum.de.  All tests were
> mirroring the DragonFly BSD source repository.  The tests were done
> with various aged repositories at different times of the day and
> night, some with compression on and some with it off.  Each test was
> done by unpacking two identical copies of a given aged
> repository, one to run the cvsup test on and one to run the rsync test on.
> Then the rsync and cvsup test was run back to back.

The only minor thing I'd bring up is that I recall one reason for cvsup is
that rsync placed a relatively higher load per client on the server.

Of course, that may complaint may date from when people only had 400Mhz
CPUs and older versions of rsync, so I doubt it's a strong reason to stay
with cvsup any more.