rsync considered superior (was: Re: rsync vs. cvsup benchmarks)

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:54:59 +0100

Hello Vincent,

Vincent Stemen wrote:
The results are dramatic, with rsync performing hundreds of percent faster on
average while only loading the processor on the client side a little over
a third as much as cvsup.  Either the performance claims about cvsup being
faster than rsync are based on theory without real world testing or cvsup has
gotten a lot slower or rsync has gotten a lot faster than in the past.

Thank you for these thorough tests! We finally have some hard numbers to work with. I think it is obvious that rsync should be the preferred update mechanism if you want to download the cvs repository. Cvsup might still be better suited when only downloading the checked out sources.

To state it clearly for everybody:

Use rsync to sync your repos! It is faster and can even be compiled!

cheers
  simon