Re: Some mail from dragonfly.users being rejected

From: Vincent Stemen <vince.dragonfly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:57:27 -0600

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 12:11:18PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Hmm.  We're just running normal sendmail here.  But if the mailing
>     list has several addresses that run through your server and your
>     server is trying to do a backchannel for each one in parallel, you
>     could be hitting up against crater's connection limit.

No, I am only subscribed to one DF mailing list with one email address.
Perhaps there are enough others on the list doing sender verify to cause
a certain percentage of subscribers to randomly hit craters connection
limit?  I think I will turn off sender verify for mail from the list
address.

Anyway, you are right.  The others got re-sent and delivered, but it
turns out that my tmda challenge system had them sitting in the queue.
I should have checked that earlier, but when I saw the reject messages
in our main mail log, and I received some of the messages, I assumed it
was not tmda blocking them.  Justin's came through because he had
confirmed once before and was in my tmda white list.  I had tmda white
listed mail to the address I subscribed to the list with, which allowed
the confirmation messages to come through, but I forgot to white list
mail from the list address.  Since incoming list mail is not actually
addressed to me but to the list, my tmda filter still blocked them.

I hope this fixes it.  The mail headers do not actually have
users-errors@crater... in the from: or received from headers.
Hopefully tmda will white list based on the sender address.

Sorry about that, to those who might have received a challenge from me
when you posted to the list.  And for any future ones if this did not
fix it and I have to make any more filter adjustments :-).

Thanks Matt.

Vince